The website operated at www.sinc-cw.ca and such other locations as made available from time to time (collectively, the “Website”) and the Content and services offered therefrom are operated by Sisters in Crime – Canada West (“Canada West”).
“Content” means all materials and content of any type, including, but not limited to, photos, graphics, images, designs, profiles, messages, information, notes, text, music, sound, video, articles, and software.
“Member” means a member of Canada West, who may or may not have completed the appropriate account registration process and created a password to allow access to certain restricted areas of the Website.
“User” or “you” means any Member or other person who accesses or uses this Website.
• You are responsible for determining whether Content is subject to any copyright, privacy right or other proprietary right.
• You may not reproduce, copy, republish, distribute, display, sell, transfer, upload, post, transmit or modify the Website or any Content in whole or in part without the written permission of Canada West or the applicable Third Parties. Unauthorized use of the Website, its Content, or trademarks and design marks appearing thereon may violate intellectual property laws or other laws.
3. Member Account and Password. Members may register and create an account to permit access to restricted areas of the Website and in connection therewith will create a password. Canada West has no obligation to verify the actual identity or authority of the user of any Member’s account or password. Canada West is not liable for any loss or damage you or any other person incurs as a result of a Member’s failure to comply with this section.
(a) Passwords – Choose a password that is unique to you. All passwords remain the property of Canada West, who may cancel or suspend them at any time without notice or liability.
(b) Security and Liability – Members agree to keep their account information and password confidential and not to disclose them to any other person or to permit any other person (other than an authorized Canada West representative) to use them. Members will immediately notify Canada West of any breath of security, including any suspected unauthorized use of their password or account. Members are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of their password and account and are liable for activities that occur under their password and account, including use and misuse of their account.
4. Users’ Rights. This Website and Content are for Users’ personal use only. You have only the limited, personal, non-transferable right to view and to download or copy Content for your personal and non-commercial use, and provided that you keep all copyright or other proprietary notices intact. You acknowledge that Canada West, and others who provide Content, remain the owners of the Content regardless whether such Content is protected by copyright laws, and that you do not acquire any ownership rights by accessing or downloading Content.
However, you must not, and you agree not to
(a) remove any copyright or other proprietary rights notice from any Content that you obtain through this Website;
(b) alter, modify, distribute, frame, reproduce, republish, display, post, transmit, or sell any Content, in any form or by any means, in whole or in part,
(d) republish any Content on any Internet, Intranet or Extranet site or incorporate the information in any other database or compilation, without Canada West’s prior written permission or the permission of the particular Content owner, as the case may be, or
(e) use any data mining, robot or similar data gathering or extraction methods with respect to any Website or any Content.
5. User Content. Certain areas of the Website (for example, the blog, news or updates) permit you to submit text and images (“User Content”) to the Website and Canada West does not claim ownership over any User Content. You are entirely responsible for all Content you upload or provide for posting. You may not post or transmit any Content that is unlawful, defamatory, pornographic, obscene, invasive of privacy, hateful or otherwise objectionable; you may not post or transmit any Content that you do not have a legal right to post or transmit or that infringes any intellectual or other proprietary rights of any other person.
In addition, by providing any User Content, you
(a) acknowledge that Canada West has the right to refuse to accept, display, or transmit any User Content in its sole discretion, and to edit or delete a comment that Canada West in its discretion deems inappropriate, illegal, offensive or harmful, or improperly promotes a business, product or service,
(b) grant Canada West the worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive and irrevocable right and license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform and publicly display and perform such User Content, and to sub-license the foregoing,
(c) represent and warrant that you have all right, title and interest to grant the above license, your User Content does not infringe on any other person’s copyright, trade-mark, proprietary interests, trade secrets, privacy or other intellectual property rights, and no User Content contains any libellous, defamatory or otherwise unlawful material, and
(d) agree to indemnify Canada West and its officers, agents and employees and hold it harmless from any claims, losses, damages or expenses incurred by it in respect of any third party claims that your User Content infringes on any other person’s rights (including all of the rights set out in (b) above).
8. Third Party Sites and Content. The Website may provide links to other web sites (“Third Party Sites”) as well as Content belonging to or originating from parties other than Canada West (the “Third Party Content”). Canada West does not investigate, monitor or check such Third Party Sites and Third Party Content for accuracy, appropriateness, or completeness, and Canada West is not responsible for any such Third Party Sites or Third Party Content.
The provision of such links is not approval or endorsement by Canada West of any product, service or information reached thereby. Further, you use the links at your own risk.
9. Copyright Infringement If you believe that material located on or linked to by the Website violates your copyright, notify Canada West, who will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material.
Canada West may terminate a User’s access to and use of the Website if, under appropriate circumstances, the User is determined to be a repeat infringer of the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of others. In the case of such termination, Canada West will have no obligation to provide a refund of amounts previously paid by such User, if any.
(a) Canada West is not responsible or liable in any manner for any User Content or Third Party Content available on the Website, whether made available or causec to be made available by Users or by any of the technology associated with or utilized in the Website, is not responsible to monitor any User Content or Third Party Content, and is not responsible for the conduct, whether online or offline, of any User.
(b) There is no representation that the Website is appropriate or available for use outside Canada.
(c)There is no warranty as to completeness or accuracy of information on the Website. A reference to a product, service or publication is not an endorsement by Canada West of such item.
(d) THE WEBSITE AND WEBSITE CONTENT ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” AND CANADA WEST DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. Canada West DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT THE WEBSITE CONTENT IS ACCURATE, COMPLETE, RELIABLE, CURRENT OR ERROR-FREE, OR THAT THE WEBSITE IS FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. THEREFORE, YOU SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION IN THE USE AND DOWNLOADING OF ANY SUCH CONTENT AND USE INDUSTRY-RECOGNIZED SOFTWARE TO DETECT AND DISINFECT VIRUSES. CANADA WEST DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY THIRD PARTY CONTENT OR THIRD PARTY SITES.
11. Limitation of Liability. IN NO EVENT WILL CANADA WEST BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES FOR ANY LOSS, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOST PROFITS OR LOST DATA, ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE WEBSITE, THE WEBSITE CONTENT OR OTHER MATERIALS ON OR ACCESSED THROUGH THE WEBSITE (INCLUDING ALL THIRD PARTY CONTENT AND THIRD PARTY SITES), EVEN IF CANADA WEST IS AWARE OR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
Canada West’s liability to you for any cause whatsoever will at all times be limited to the amount paid, if any, by you to Canada West for access to the Website during the year in which your cause arose, but in no case will Canada West’s liability to you exceed $50 Canadian in total.
13. Submissions. Notwithstanding any term herein related to User Content, you acknowledge and agree that any questions, comments, suggestions, ideas, feedback or other information about the Website (collectively, “Submissions”), provided by you to Canada West are non-confidential and shall become Canada West’s sole property, and Canada West shall own exclusive rights, including all intellectual property rights, and shall be entitled to the unrestricted use and dissemination thereof for any purpose, commercial or otherwise, without acknowledgment or compensation to you.
14. Electronic Communications. When you use the Website or send e-mails to Canada West, you are communicating with it electronically. You consent to receive communications from Canada West electronically. Canada West will communicate with you by e-mail to the email address attached to any of your User Content or by posting notices on the Website at-large. You agree that all agreements, notices, disclosures and other communications that she provides you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications be in writing.
Information collection and use:
In general. We collect personal information from you for the following purposes: to provide you with information that may be of interest, to notify you about changes to the website, to meet any contractual obligations we have to you, and to provide membership services.
Public Member Information. If you are a member of Canada West you are permitted to provide images and information about yourself and your publications (collectively “Public Member Information”). By providing Public Member Information you authorize Canada West to disseminate such information in connection with promotions of its events or members and you acknowledge that users of the Website will have access to your Public Member Information.
Contact information. Some areas of the Website require contact and other information. The information may include your name, mailing address, telephone numbers, and e-mail address. We may use that information to contact you in connection with transactions between you and us, to provide updates or information to you generally, or for other internal purposes. We will not share your contact information with third parties without your consent, except to a court or governmental authority if permitted, authorized or required by law or except to the extent such contact information constitutes Public Member Information.
Demographic information. Demographic and profile data (for example, age and gender) may be collected but would be shared only on an aggregated basis. We may also maintain a database of transactions, or views, and use this information to track the success of the Website.
Internet Protocol address. We collect an IP address from all visitors to the Website and may use it to assist in administering the Website.
Newsletters. We use a third-party provider, MailerLite, to distribute our WestWords newsletter. We gather statistics about email opening and clicks to help us monitor our newsletter.
Public Forums, Comments
The Website may make message boards and other postings available to Users. You should remember that any information you post on the Website becomes public information. Please exercise caution when deciding whether to disclose personal information.
If Canada West elects to include a blog as part of the Website and you subscribe to the blog, you will automatically receive e-mail communications when Canada West publishes a blog post. You can opt-out of those communications by unsubscribing on the Website.
Last Updated: November 27, 2019